BSD on machines with RAID

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Mon Mar 1 20:41:53 PST 2004

Jagadish N Vajha wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I would like to know if its possible to run Free BSD on IBM machines
>   with a RAID controller (SCSI hard drives are used). I have tried
>   installing it but the system keeps on freezing continuously during
>   setup, the same system works perfectly with other OS's.
>
>   Please let me know if anyone has a solution for this.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Jagadish

Works fine, although it appears that the ips driver seems to want the
5.11 firmware on the ServeRAID card, instead of the newer 6.X series.  I
did some trivial digging into the ips source but didn't see any specific
comments or macros defining a desired firmware level, but 5.11 firmware
works fine for me, whereas I know a few people have seemed to have
problems, possibly due to firmware and drive incompatibility (I
currently work at IBM and can say definitively 5.11 and 6.X firmware and
drivers do not want to play together...)

Scott
IBM 4500R
ServeRAID 3L 5.11 firmware
2x striped system drives
FreeBSD current, working fine since 5.1-BETA