Questions regarding BIND

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 13:13:23 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:07:39PM -0800, Jason Williams wrote:
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 and I have cvsup'd the ports and src tree. I made the
> world, and now im looking to implement BIND.

> So the first question is, what is the best way to upgrade BIND? Would it be
> better to use the ports version, or to grab the source?

The easiest thing to do is just install from the dns/bind9 port.  That
will get you the latest release from the bind9 series.

If you hunt through the archives of this list, you'll see a lot of
advice about defining 'NO_BIND' in /etc/make.conf and installing the
port with 'PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9=yes' in the make flags.  While you
can do that, I personally think it's much better just to install under
the default perfix and leave the system version of bind alone.  That
means you'll end up with /usr/bin/dig being the version from bind8,
and /usr/local/bin/dig being the version from bind9, but it's
trivially easy to set up aliases or modify your path so you run your
favourite version by default.

> Secondly, is regarding my setup. This server will not be setup to be public
> accessible. It is for our internal LAN.
> With that in mind, are there any How-to's for setting up BIND or getting
> started documents?

It depends how complicated your setup is.  If you have absolutely no
connection to the internet, you'll have to supply your own root domain
and delegate yourself.  If your nameserver can see the internet
servers, then you can just set up a private zone by configuring your
server with the zone data: so long as the clients ask that machine for
the data it is authoritative for, it will answer without checking the
delegation from the root.

> Also, is the book DNS and BIND (the O'Reilly book) pretty good? Worth
> buying..i may swing down to my local bookstore and buy it.

Absolutely recommended.  Explains very clearly everything you need to
know to complete this task.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way