portsdb: Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry [SOLVED]

Jeff Penn jeff+dated+1078511329.2cfed5 at jrpenn.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 11:50:36 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>:

>> > Run 'make describe' on its own..it will give an error at some point,
>> > which should let us determine what is going wrong.

It was decided that my ports had to be rebuilt from scratch.  The likely
cause of the problem is failing to adobt my ports when I first
cvsupped. (details: http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html)

After deleting the ports tree & installing ports.tgz from my ver 4.4
installation CDROM I cvsup'd using 'tag=RELEASE_4_4_0', then cvsup'd
again with 'tag=.'  However portsdb -uU still failed:

  make_index: fandango-0.2.5: no entry for /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3
  Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1
  Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry:

& make description also failed:

  ===> chinese/abiword failed:
  zh-abiword-0.7.13: "/usr/ports/editors/AbiWord" non-existent --
  dependency list incomplete
  ===> chinese/acroread-chsfont
  *** Error code 1

I got around this by removing all the ports/* entries from my refuse
file so that I receive the full ports collection.

Jeff