apache + SSL, modssl vs OpenSSL

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Mon Mar 1 04:30:51 PST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:07:03PM -1000, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > 	I'm planning to upgrade my old apache with a newer version and add
> > SSL but I noticed the ports has both apache + modssl as well as apache +
> > OpenSSL, are there any differences between the two of them and is one of
> > them better than the other?  Thanks.
>
> apache+mod_ssl is my preference, but that's really just me.  Either
> will serve you well.  Functionality and configuration file sysntax is
> slightly different between the two but that's mostly a matter of
> individual preference rather than any organic difference.  One thing
> that mod_ssl supplies is the EAPI, which enables a number of other
> extensions to apache, such as the ability to define and use variables
> within the apache configuration files.
>
> You might be interested to know that mod_ssl is a standard part of
> Apache 2.x

	Thanks for your input.  I just thought that openssl is part of the
FreeBSD src tree that it might have an advantage not to mention that it
came from OpenBSD.  As for Apache 2.x, it seems all the other mod* ports
in the ports tree are still all linked to Apache 1.3 though.

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin