VIA KM266

Darkbackwardz co. ltd. darkbackwardz at netscape.net
Wed Jun 30 23:22:26 PDT 2004

I have just installed FreeBSD version 4.10 along with KDE and the
X-Window system on my x86 PC, unfortunately, when I type "startx" at the
command line I get this error message:

"XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol version II Revision 0 Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.10 i386 [ELF]
Build Date: 29 April 2004

Before reporting problems check http://www.XFree86.Org to make sure you
have the latest version

Module loader present
Markers: (--)probed, (**) from config file, (= =) default setting, (+ +)
from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE)
error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(= =) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed June 30 23:43:12 2004
(= =) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

(WW) SAVAGE: chipset "ProSavage DDR" in device section "VIA ProSavage8"
isn't valid for this driver

(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to server crash, please send the full
server output, not just the last messages. This can be found in the lof
file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log. Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
X auth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv) :1: bad display name ":0" in remove command
xauth: (argv) :1: bad display name ":0" in remove command
#"

I'm quite sure that I've chosen the wrong video driver during setup, my
computer runs on a VIA KM266 chipset with an integrated S3 ProSavage8
DDR video card (Seen here:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/ProSavage%20Chipsets/km266.jsp )
 Which BSD driver would best suit this card? So far I've tried selecting
the ProSavageK category and the driver labled "savage", as well as the
"generic-vga" category and "vga" driver in the XFree86 setup.
   If my card isn't supported by BSD, which one of the drivers on
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=296 would I use and how would I install
it from a floppy disc? I've already installed the compatibility packages
for Linux binaries, but I don't know which version would be best accepted.

    Any help would be appreciated!
           -Melinda Coates