Gnome installing Mozilla by default

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Wed Jun 30 20:49:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:39:17 -0400
Bruce Hunter <freebsd at solisix.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I install the Gnome port, it installs Mozilla 1.6 as default. I
> guess Epiphany 1.2.6 uses it.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) How do I get Epiphany to not use Mozilla and what performance hit
> will I take for doing this, if any?
>
> 2) If Epiphany doesn't use mozilla, then what does it use?
>
> 3) Mozilla seems to be a system resource hog. At least this version that
> is installed. I just need a browser that is fasssttt, doesn't mess up
> the fonts, and is capable of viewing flash? I don't need all that other
> stuff mozilla installs, such as, the email client, etc..

i can't help you with the other points, however, if you're looking for a
_FAST_ browser which can handle flash, try out opera.  the download is
small, so testing it won't monopolize your dial-up connection all
afternoon like moz.

there are two version in the ports collection.  though i've got a soft spot
for the FBSD native version, i've had much better success running the
plugins (flash, acrobat, java, ...) with linux-opera.

opera is one innovative and featureful browser - without the bloat.  if
you are comfortable with the keyboard, you'll never have to touch your
mouse again. if you love your mouse, then set-up the mouse gestures and
browse with waves of the hand.

as you can tell, i'm sold on this browser.  i'll end my evangelizing
with this...   like here at FBSD, the opera user community is very
supportive (my.opera.com/forums) and there are many tutorials out there
(nontroppo.org/wiki) to help you radically customize the browser and
optimize your mileage.

cheers,
epi

p.s. though opera 'does' have an integrated e-mail client, the amount of
additional code they wrote to include it is negligible in size and won't
cause any performance hit.  (the version they released with the integrated
e-mail client was faster than the preceding one without.  go figure.)