[OT] fetchmail, procmail and mutt (oh my!)

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Jun 30 19:45:43 PDT 2004

Background:
When I travel, I use access a home server via ssh and deal with my email
using console applications.  I obtain my email from several sources
using fetchmail.  I have a .procmailrc file that properly puts the
emails into specified mbox files -- so far so good.

Problem:
If I put 'mda /usr/local/bin/procmail' in the .fetchmailrc lines,
procmail puts the emails in the correct mbox files; but mutt complains
that the files are not valid email files and refuses to read them.

If I let fetchmail put the emails into my system mbox and use formail to
process the emails, copies of the emails get put into the correct mbox
files and mutt will open the files; but I have to go back and manually
delete the emails in my system mail box.

How can I get both valid mbox files and without having to manually
delete emails in my system folder?

Here's the top of .procmailrc and the freebsd recipe:

####################################
MAILDIR=/home/algould/pmail
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log
VERBOSE=1
DEFAULT=/home/algould/pmail/inbox

:0 :
* .*freebsd
/home/algould/pmail/freebsd

The other recipes differ only in criteria and mbox file name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould