Perl Syntax

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Jun 30 09:51:22 PDT 2004

I'm using perl 5.8.4 on a 4.9 machine.  I want to add code a perl script
to check for value passed from command line.  If it is null, I want to
exit with an error message.

First I tried this and got "Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
./test.pl line 20."

if ($ARGV[0] eq "") {
  print "You must include the file name.";
  exit 1;
}

Next I tried this but get "Use of uninitialized value in length at
./test.pl line 20."

if (length ($ARGV[0]) = "0") {
  print "You must include the file name.";
  exit 1;
}

I've searched the web and all examples that I've found indicate that I'm
doing things correctly but obviously I'm not.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse