5.2.1-rel install CD hangs Tecra 9100

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 09:21:52 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, xpi wrote:

> 		-or-
> Idiot user can't find the any key.
>

> 	I have a Toshiba Tecra 9100 laptop 1700mhz/256m, I'd like 5.2.1-rel on it. Think I'm falling off the directions about disabling laptop pcibios ..but I'm out of FAQ's
>
> 	Boot(8) sucessfully loads a kernel and displays the  boot menu, and no matter how I tell the kernel to boot ( no APCI ) we hang after this... Sorry no serial cable dmesg =) Tell me if we need to type _the whole thing_.
>

> agp0: <Intel 82845 host to AGP brige> mem 0xe00000000-0xefffffff at device 0.0 on pci0
>
> and then nothing, no disk access, no kbd interaction only zuul.
>
> 	The faq  has a note about disabling pcibios by getting '-c' to the kernel via the boot> prompt. I can't seem to get at that prompt in any way. The suggested technique is to hit the any key at the boottrap spinner cursor; but those keystrokes are buffered until the loader's menu comes up. (Idiot user can't find the any key, tee hee)  Issuing boot -c to the loader prompt gets me to the same nowhere.
>
> 	 Help. I'm ignorant of the magick of boot(8) and it's gang.  I don't belive that this machine has a text bios meny to tweak hw compatibility settings.

erk your mailer doesnt wrap at a sensible length (hint hint)
to get to the bios on all the tosiba tecra laptops i've come across,
(8000,8100,8200) you hold the esc key as soon as you turn it on, wait for
it to say there is an error, then press F1 to check the bios settings.

havent played with the 9000 series much though, so not sure what, if any,
useful options the bios will have.

Vince