kern.ipc.nmbclusters

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Wed Jun 30 06:26:34 PDT 2004

I have a machine that is rebooting with the following error:

"All mbuf clusters exhausted, please see tuning(7)."

Which through google and man tuning I was able to figure out that indeed,
mbufs were exhausted. So I tried to set kern.ipc.nmbclusters=4096 (which
should cover the load of the server), but found out after it is not a
run-time tunable parameter.

I searched google, and gathered that I should put this setting in
/boot/loader.conf.

This is contradictory of me usually putting kernel tweaks in
/etc/sysctl.conf.

>From your experience, where is the best place to load this variable from,
why is it a better location, and what will happen if I don't load it from
the proper place?

Tks.

Steve