Cyrus SASL

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue Jun 29 16:48:10 PDT 2004

Hey all,

My other message doesn't seem to have gone through, so I'll ask again.

I followed the instruction to the letter from the documentation on the freebsd
site for smtp auth via sendmail and cyrus-sasl.  In order to get sendmail
running, I had to delete a bunch of nearly blank lines from around line 80 to
line 90 or so, then it booted just fine.  I also had to edit rc.conf to
include the following lines:

sasl_pwcheck_enable="YES"
sasl_pwcheck_program="/usr/local/sbin/pwcheck"
saslauthd1_enable="YES"
cyrus_pwcheck_enable="YES"

Everything seems to have started just fine.  So, I removed the corresponding
lines in /etc/mail/relay-domains for my current host, to test the auth
fuctionality.  Without auth setup in my mail client (tried in both Outlook
and Kmail), mail gets blocked, asking for auth.  Trying it with both clients
configured with the authentication settings, I get the same error.

Is there something I'm missing.  Adding the lines to rc.conf wasn't really in
the handbook, but I found they needed to be added in order for a server
restart to come back up correctly.

TIA
--
Eric F Crist

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry, and the world WILL turn.