Which book should I start?

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Tue Jun 29 15:40:06 PDT 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:33:50 -0400
"Rajamani, Rajarajan (Rajarajan)" <rrajarajan at lucent.com> spake thus:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am new to Bsd. I did a lot of research on the net which book should I
> >> start with.
> >> I got two of them. I can not deside which one should I start.
> >> Here are my books::
> >> - The Complet FreeBSD. 4th Edition
> >>   From O'Reilly, Greg Lehey.
> >>
> >> - Absolute BSD The ultimate guide to FreeBSD.
> >>   From Michael Lucas.
> >>
> >> Thank you for all the advise.
> >>
> >> Laszlo
> >>

> >I would start with Greg's book. I found it invaluable when I was first
> >learning FreeBSD (still use it occasionally). As for buying FreeBSD-5, you
> >can upgrade for free. That's also covered in Greg's book. Above all, the
> >handbook and man are your friends.
> >
> >just my $.02,
> >
> >Beech
> >
> I have Greg's book and I second Beech's mail as I too found it very
> invaluable when I installed freeBSD the first time.
>
> RR

Seems to me that it depends a great deal on which writer you find
easiest to follow. If you want a sample of Michael Lucas' style go to
Big Scary Daemons on the O'Reilly website. ( www.onlamp.com/bsd). I have
Greg's book and it has safely guided me through all the basics. I still
refer to it from time to time. Michael's material on the web is also
easy to read. If you can afford it I'd get both.

HTH

LukeK
--
Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net>