Which book should I start?

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Jun 29 13:38:50 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 02:52 pm, Laszlo Antal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Bsd. I did a lot of research on the net which book should
> I start with.
> I got two of them. I can not deside which one should I start.
> Here are my books::
> - The Complet FreeBSD. 4th Edition
>   From O'Reilly, Greg Lehey.
>
> - Absolute BSD The ultimate guide to FreeBSD.
>   From Michael Lucas.

The 2nd edition of Greg Lehey's book introduced me to FreeBSD.  I have
purchased the most recent edition; and I also have Michael Lucas' book,
which I find very helpful.

Both books are excellent; but the authors have different writing styles.
My suggestion is to read a chapter from each book that covers the same
topic, and see which style you're more receptive to.  Use the second
book as an additional reference **while** you read the first book.

> Thank you for all the advise.
>
> Laszlo
>
> One more questione the complete freebsd covers
> Bsd 5. I have the FreeBsd 4.8.
> Do I need to buy the version 5 ??
>
> Thank you again
> --lantal