select(2)'s timeout argument

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Jun 29 11:49:58 PDT 2004

=On Jun 29, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
=
=> Why is the pointer to the `struct timeval' not declared as `const'?
=> Can select(2) ever modify the structure pointed to? Thanks!

Thank you very much, Lance, for the quick response!

=Some versions of Linux modified timeval. Posix.1g specifies const
=qualifier. I think most unixes don't modify it. I think ?? in the old
=days some unixes did modify it. legacy and compatibility issues.

If Posix.1g specifies const-ness and we don't, in fact, modify it, is
it a bug, we don't declare it const?

	-mi