REPOST: Performance problems with FTP

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 29 11:42:52 PDT 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 2:02 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
> I'm having some really weird problems with ftp performance on FreeBSD
> 4.10
> that I just can't seem to figure out.
>
> My uplink here maxes out at about 35k/sec.  If I scp to the machine in
> question
> I get about 30k/sec (which is expected) but when I ftp, I never get
> anything
> better than 15k/sec, and occasionally as low as 8k/sec.
[ ... ]
> I tried running the ftp daemon that ships with FreeBSD, as well as
> Proftpd and
> they both exhibit the same performance issues.

I haven't seen any signs of such problems with 4.10.  Given that you've
reproduced this using different FTP servers, it seems more likely to be
a network issue or some hardware glitch (cables? flaky NIC?) than a
software issue.

Have you asked your ISP about the issue?
Can you reproduce by moving ftp to a different port #?  (Perhaps some
quality-of-service thingy is providing different bandwidth by port...)
Does passive versus active FTP make a difference?
Anything interesting in 'netstat -s'?

--
-Chuck