Help required installing 5.2.1

Andrew Walrond andrew at walrond.org
Tue Jun 29 10:04:53 PDT 2004

I have tried unsuccessfully to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 from downloaded isos.

I have the i386 isos, but the first machine I tried was an Asus SK8N
motherboard with Amd Opteron and 2Gb ram. The various hardware is shown as
supported on the Hardware list; notably the Promise SATA150 TX2 disk
controller.

Although this is an Amd64, I assume the 386 version should still install OK?

Anyhow, I booted from cd disk 1, went through the various questions, auto
partitioned and it began "Extracting ... into / directory". This went well
for a few minutes, lots of disk activity, then
	Panic - page fault
	CPUID 0

and was informed that the machine would reboot after 15seconds.

I tried again, this time booting without ACPI, with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Andrew Walrond