freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 67, Issue 4

Mark Terribile materribile at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 12:41:05 PDT 2004

OK, new info on the restart problem.

> If you know it only occurs under heavy CPU load, then that leads to two
> conclusions.
>
> 1. Hardware issue/thermal.  Perhaps your cpu fan is not adequate.  Perhaps
> thermal compound might help?  Artic silver.. etc. Another possibility is
> that you have adequate cooling but a sensor on the processor, fan or
> motherboard watching the cpu is malfunctioning and making the system think
> its overheating.  Can you look at the temperature readings for the cpu in
> the bios, etc?
>
> 2. Software issue.

I just ran lmmon (lmmon -i) and got outrageously high readings: 185C, varying.
Yet the heat sink isn't even warm.  Assuming that lmmon can be trusted, I have
to check (read re-do) the thermal compound.  I'm not really looking forward
to this, so if anyone knows that lmmon can't be trusted, please email me in
the next few hours!

I have some Arctic Silver laying around.

    Mark Terribile