Intel Ethernet card not being detected

Richard P. Williamson richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
Mon Jun 28 08:24:24 PDT 2004

At 16:52 25/06/2004. Simon Barner had this to say:
>Richard P. Williamson wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>Here another thing you could try: I once had a problem with a 3Com NIC
>not being detected properly when the driver was compiled statically into
>the kernel.
>
>Removing it and using the module instead made it work...

Nope, still no joy.  However my boot is telling me userland is out of
sync with the kernel now, so I'm not prepared to say "it didn't work"
yet.

Per the numbers returned by pciconf, this is a 82559 rev 0x8, which
is in the table of supported devices.  According to the code, however,
if the device claims to be 10Mb only, then it isn't even handed to the
miibus code to configure.  I'm still working my way through the code to
determine if the 10Mb-ness is being reported by the devices directly,
or if this is the code's interpretation based on other data requested.

The two additional 82559 rev 0x8s (on the plug-in PCI card)
are correctly being passed to the miibus, and this is annoying.

Thanks for your time in this, anyway.

MfG,
rip