FreeBSD desktop newcomer (Enemy Territory players read) - need minor help

klr at 6s-gaming.com klr at 6s-gaming.com
Mon Jun 28 08:16:44 PDT 2004

Hi list,

After sucessfully playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory
on FreeBSD 5.2.1, I decided to switch my workstation to freebsd. I have
large experience on the server side but kinda new to the desktop. Here are
some minor annoyances i'm not being able to solve:

1. I've added a 'paw' menu to access the main menu, but I'd like the
win-key to open this menu. possible?

2. Is there any app like in KDE to update the gnome (2.6.1) menus to
reflect changes in installed applications?

3. Annoyances with enemy territory:

  - The game console isn't bound to \. I have to open it with ~, and the
leading \ won't appear. This makes me send lots of commands to general
chat instead of issuing them, have to remember this all the time. I did
a bind \ toggleconsole, while it will bring console with \ then, it
won't make it vanish. My only clue was it could be a keyboard config
error, so I configured it (using gnome), layout portuguese keyboard,
microsoft natural. it should be working. Also on xchat and such, if I
use any letter with an accent people will see it as a '?'. How do I fix
this behavior ?

  - Im getting some delay switching weapons and shooting. I press mouse1
and about 0.5sec later the weapon will shoot. This should be
instantaneous. I don't have any idea on this one, solutions ?

  - CAPS LOCK key won't work ingame. Works fine on gnome. I need the caps
  lock key on enemy territory.

Thanks all in advance!