Maximum uptime 497 days?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Mon Jun 28 07:50:30 PDT 2004

Hi,

This tickles something in the back of my memory.

You aren't by chance talking about remote uptime detection,
Netcraft-style, are you?

IIRC, that rolls over to 0 at 497 days.  But actual system uptime is
unaffected.

==ml

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:39:30PM +0900, Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> By accident I happen to come across this remarkable limit of
> uptime registration for FreeBSD systems. After 497 days, the
> timer jumps to zero again.
>
> 497 days is less than a 1.5 years !
>
> Has this been fixed in newer versions of FreeBSD (stable and/or
> current) ? Or is there a hardware limitation (CPU?) that does
> not allow this?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

Michael Lucas		mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
   "I'm sorry, but 'Social Darwinism' is no excuse for killing all of
	           your co-workers."  -- Ivan Brunetti