File tree replication in FreeBSD

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Sun Jun 27 04:23:01 PDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:48:07 +0400
"Kentucky Mandeloid Mo." <ky at df.ru> spake thus:

> I'm looking for file replication solution for FreeBSD.
>
> I have a task to replicate about 11G of files with 500k total files count.
> I say replication not mirroring i.e. I need to copy modified files to slaves
> almost imidiately after the change.
> Tried to find some ready solution but fails.
> There is FAM from SGI but it fails to work properly on FreeBSD (it makes silly
> stat(2) calls).
> kevent(2) also don't have anough API to watch >= 500k files.
> So I see the only way is to have kernel module that watch kernel calls for
> file operations.
>
> So is there some other points to build a file replication?

Can I suggest you investigate rsync ? It will allow you to replicate
file trees pretty much on demand across a LAN or indeed the internet
should you choose to. Works over SSH so it's nice and secure and if you
need virtually instant replication you could conceivably run this from a
cron job every N minutes.

/usr/ports/net/rsync

HTH

LukeK