2. Try Kernel compiling..makefile stops because of some warnings

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jun 25 17:20:09 PDT 2004

Karim Forsthofer <karim_f at xmail.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I tried to compile a new kernel from my 5.1 bsd cd.

5.1 is an obsolete, experimental version.  If you're new to FreeBSD, you
should be using 4.10.  If you want to experiment with the 5.x branch, you
should be using 5.2.1.  Many problems that existed in 5.1 have been fixed in
5.2.1.  You're unlikely to get any support for 5.1.

> "Config" and "make depend" worked well, but "make" stops and
> print out some warnings about unused functions in npx.c (or something else).

This is the old way of building a kernel.  You should use "make buildkernel"
as described in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

For future reference, it's very difficult to help when problems are
described as "print out some warnings about unused functions in npx.c
(or something else)".  If you have questions in the future, you'll get
more helpful answers if you provide the exact error messages.  This
document describes how to ask good questions:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies