Boot0 configuration question...

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Fri Jun 25 15:58:32 PDT 2004

Henrik W Lund wrote:

> Jud wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>

>> The FreeBSD bootloader should be installed on *both* hard drives.  This
>> will boot WinXP, but will show it in the boot menu as "???"  If you
>> prefer a boot manager that allows you to easily enter the names of the
>> OSs you are booting, you might try GAG (<URL:
>> http://gag.sourceforge.net/>).
>>
>> Jud
>>

> So, a quick ´boot0cfg -B ad2´ (where ad2 is my WinXP drive) should do
> it then? How come I didn't think of that? ;-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Henrik W Lund

Just following up here. The above works, albeit in a weird kinda way.
After installing the boot0 boot manager on the other drive as well, I
get the prompt one more time when I select to boot from the other drive
- which is what I'd expect.

Now, what I did not expect is that if I set the FreeBSD drive as drive 0
in the BIOS, I am still unable to boot WinXP. The boot manager comes up,
I select Drive 1, it prompts me again and I select the '???' entry
(WinXP) - and the machine reboots. Selecting FreeBSD at the first
invocation of boot0 gets me into FreeBSD alright.

However, setting the WinXP drive as drive 0 in the BIOS things work
flawlessly. At the first invocation of boot0, WinXP boots up if I select
'???'. If I select Drive 1, and the second invocation of boot0 appears
and I select 'FreeBSD' - it boots FreeBSD!!

Is this some weirdness of the BIOS? That the onboard IDE controllers are
somehow inherently preferred, and that weirdness occurs if drives on any
other controller are set to drive 0? It beats me, maybe one of you guys
know. Please let me know if you do, as this befuddles me.

-Henrik W Lund