Boot0 configuration question...

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 25 05:21:28 PDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:06:44 -0700, "Henrik W Lund"
<henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no> said:
> Greetings, list!
>
> I have a question regarding my boot0 setup. First, let me lay out my
> harddrive topology:
>
> Onboard Serial ATA RAID controller --> 1 HDD, 120 GB all in one slice.
> FreeBSD resides on this.
> Onboard Secondary IDE controller --> 1 HDD, 20 GB all in one slice. Home
> of WinXP.
>
> On the 120 GB disk, I have installed the boot0 bootmanager. It provides
> the following output on startup:
>
> F1 FreeBSD
> F5 Drive 1
>
> Now, the thing is, regardless of whether I press F1 or F5, it always
> ends up booting the FreeBSD drive (the one on the Serial ATA
> controller). What can I do to make it boot from the other one? Can I at
> all? The alternatives are entering the BIOS and manually changing the
> disks' boot priorities - which is kinda awkward - or installing a
> different bootmanager. Both alternatives are not tempting, both because
> I like simplicity, and because I don't know what complications (if any)
> my running FreeBSD/amd64 might introduce into the installation of
> another bootmanager.

The FreeBSD bootloader should be installed on *both* hard drives.  This
will boot WinXP, but will show it in the boot menu as "???"  If you
prefer a boot manager that allows you to easily enter the names of the
OSs you are booting, you might try GAG (<URL:
http://gag.sourceforge.net/>).

Jud