setting xterm font from the command line

Michael A. Smith msmith at code-fu.com
Thu Jun 24 14:23:09 PDT 2004

>>in order for it to work, you *must* escape the fontname
>>whitespace.
>>
>>xterm -fn -bitstream-bitstream\ vera\ sans\mono-*-yada,yada.
>>
>>also, if you're using the ' ' on either end of the fontname (as
>>you've shown above), drop them.
>

> Please ignore my previous reply to epilogue's reply.
>
> After providing the correct font syntax (w/o the single quotes but
> w/ quoted space), epilogue's syntax /also/ works for me.

It works for me now, too. When I was testing every (sic) combination
last night, I wasn't always using xterm. Sometimes I used xfterm4 (the
XFCE wrapper for xterm) and it DOES barf whether I escape, quote or
whatever.

Thanks a million, guys!!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith at code-fu.com>
($do || !$do) && undef($try); # Master of Perl, Yoda is. Hmmmm?