Urgent 4.9 networking problems

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jun 24 14:22:15 PDT 2004

"Dave Raven" <dave at raven.za.net> wrote:
> Okay thank you I've been so confused with all this that it didn't even occur
> to me - its now responding as expected - but I still have my original TCP
> problem.. It takes EXTREMELY long to send the first SYN, once its done that
> the entire session is perfect...
>
> Anyone at all? Any suggestions on further tests?

Are you sure all your problems aren't caused by DNS delays?

Most TCP servers will do a reverse lookup on the client attempting to
connect, so they have a friendly name to put in their log.  If there
is no DNS configured for that machine, they'll wait for a fixed timeout
before giving up and just logging the IP addy.

Try creating PTR records for all these machines and see if that fixes
it.  Or, just create a zone file for those IPs with no records ... at
least that will result in an immediate negative response from the DNS
server, which should avoid the delay.

> Thanks again
> Dave

Bill Moran