pkg_delete multimedia/mplayer doesn't work

epilogue at allstream.net epilogue at allstream.net
Thu Jun 24 12:16:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:50:50 +0200
jobse <jobse at u90.kks.kau.se> wrote:

> hello
> I do like this from /usr/ports.
> pkg_delete multimedia/mplayer*, right.
> And then I get that nothing is installed.
>
> I test mplayer finds it still working. Should it
> not have been deleted?
> When I go into the directory of ports/mplayer and
> try deinstall it. It says deinstalling for mplayer, but
> afterwars I can still run it.

if everything was originally installed via ports or packages and nothing
moved, this is highly unusual.  i suspect however, that one of the two did
happen, that you've got an extra copy floating around somewhere on your
machine, and that you will have to do a little homework to get to the
bottom of this.

try a few of these commands to gather some info:

which mplayer
mplayer -v
locate mplayer
find / -name mplayer -print
find / -path \*mplayer\* -print | more

now that you know what it is (version) and where it is, you can try to
figure out more about what happened.  how/when that version was installed
(check dates and compare version number to port history), if it was moved
to somewhere non-standard (compare with normal install directories), and
what ever else tickles your fancy.

finally, you now have to option to eliminate the port by simply removing it
manually.

hope this helps.

cheers,
epi