Command 'w' gives no user output

Martin Sommerhein pms2-freebsd at sommerhein.com
Thu Jun 24 00:43:04 PDT 2004

Ok, after cvsuping stable again + making a new world there was no
improvement.  But by accident I learned the reason to my confusion
about the output of 'w' in various contexts:

'w'   Shows users logged in on virtual console terminals
      ttyvN and on pseudo terminals ttypN (ala xterm).
      BUT, it does NOT show users logged in on KDE Konsole terminals!

I find this a bit inconsistent, but I guess it is due to KDE's
architecture that KDE's terminal windows don't show up(?).
Now I at least now the source to my confusion.

Regards,
Martin