login/password

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Wed Jun 23 12:54:06 PDT 2004

>     I'm new to using FreeBSD and when I boot up the computer (I've
> already installed FreeBSD) it asks for a login name and password. I
> don't know either and I haven't been able to get into FreeBSD. Please
> help me.

During install, it prompts you to type in the super users password. Did
you make a note of this?

The superusers name in question is 'root' (w/o quotes). This user has God
power over everything and is typically the only user on the system when an
install is freshly done, unless other users have been added upon install.

IIRC, the system will accept a null password at install time, so if you
don't remember entering the su password, try logging in with username:
root and no password.

Regards,

Steve