RH 7.3 to FBSD Question...

Nico Meijer nico.meijer at zonnet.nl
Wed Jun 23 07:12:50 PDT 2004

Hi Peter,

> Hello, I am looking to free myself of the RH death spiral...

Ooh, you'll be glad you did[*]. :-)

> I currently use their version of software RAID (RAID 1) I could not find anything like this in your docs.. any direction Y'all can give?

It's there allright:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/raid.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html

Plus: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

Yes, read the Handbook. Do it now. Read it all.

Consider using 'real' hardware RAID, would be my advice. Not that
software RAID in itself is bad, but you'll save yourself a lot of time
and trouble trying to get stuff right...

Even buying an el cheapo Promise FastTrack (haven't touched Highpoint)
will make sure your hair remains as it is.

If you do choose software RAID, please supply 'before' and 'after'
photographs, if only to prove my point. ;-)

[*] I don't consider RedHat evil at all; it's just that *BSD to me is
*so* much better than any Linux distro I've encountered.

Good luck... Nico