How to turn your Perl programs into standalone executables

Juho Vuori juho.vuori at kepa.fi
Wed Jun 23 02:52:11 PDT 2004

Hello,

Sex Maniac wrote:

>Hi just want to ask, if I have a perl program, and I
>want to turn it into standalone executables/binary.
>Question is how ? What programs/packages/ports I must
>use ?

First add a line

#!/usr/bin/perl

as the very first line of your perl program. Without indenting or
anything. /usr/bin/perl is the default location for freebsd perl
interpreter, but you should check, (run command 'which perl')  In case
your perl interpreter is located in /usr/local/bin/perl or something
else, you must change the line accordingly.

Then say

chmod 755 myprogram.pl

and your program runs nicely by just typing its name. Of course it has
to be in your command path. From current working directory you can't run
programs just like that, say ./myprogram.pl instead.

Juho