I messed up, removed /usr/X11R6/lib

Erik Trulsson erikt at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 23 02:03:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:34:02AM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Apart from the obvious answer to use the backup, is there any way to get
> it all back in /usr/X11R6/lib after you did a 'rm -fr' to many?
>
> I have reinstalled the /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 port which I had hoped
> would pull back in all needed stuff. But, now X complains about some
> missing parts which I don't know where they come from. Anyone know how I
> can get it all back?
>
> The Errors:
> (EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> Where do I find them?

Those two come from the x11-server/XFree86-4-Server port, but there are
*lots* of programs that install files under /usr/X11R6/lib - most programs
that use X and install shared libraries put the libraries there, for
example, so be prepared for more problems appearing.

Restoring from backups sounds like a good idea.  The other possibility
is to reinstall all programs you have.
Personally I would first get a list of all ports installed (using
pkg_info(1), then delete all ports (using "pkg_delete '*'" and then
install all wanted ports from scratch (after doing a "rm -fr /usr&X11R&
/usr/local" to make sure no files were left.)
This will take some time, so if you have good backups you should
probably use them.

It is of course not strictly necessary to reinstall all ports, just
those who had files installed unser /usr/X11R6/lib, and you could
probably get away by just doing a 'make reinstall' for each of them
rather than deleting them first, but by deleting and installing all
ports you minimize the risk for having problems with ports only having
half of their files installed, or missing some port.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se