cvsup and ports INDEX

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Jun 22 23:34:24 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 10:19 pm, Matt Navarre wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 09:51, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > This checks out the new ports text file.

> > > This builds INDEX.db, which is all the ports/dependency
> > > information in the format that portupgrade(and others?) uses so
> > > it can get all the right ports when you install something.

> > > They're complimentary, portsdb -uU doesn't really do anything
> > > unless you have a new /usr/ports/INDEX or /usr/ports/INDEX.db got
> > > hosed.
> >
> > This isn't true. Portsdb -U creates a brand new INDEX using your
> > current /usr/ports and -u uses that to generate a new INDEX.db
>
> That's not what the man page implys:
>

>     "The portsdb command is a tool to generates the ports database
> named INDEX.db from the ports index file named INDEX.  It is commonly
> used among the tool suite and automatically updated on demand when it
> gets older than the index file"
>
> I'm not sayin' you're wrong, since I read that a long while ago and
> haven't needed to know anything more about portsdb since, but you and
> the description in portsdb(1) seem to disagree.
>
> Yes, the -U option does "Update or create the ports index file called
> INDEX", it's just not evident from the description that it can use
> the installed ports tree.

If you are to run it after you cvsup ports-all, what do you think it is
using?

In addition,  portsdb -U now runs "make index" but you would have to
search -ports@ to read about that change. You can read comments about
it on
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/Makefile
see the commit message for version 1.78.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA