How can I upgrade my FreeBSD Handbook?

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 21:20:29 PDT 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I've already upgraded my freebsd 4.9 to 4.10 using
> make buildworld and installworld. I also have
> rebuilded the kernel.
>   I'm totally sure that when I used cvsup to fetch the
> sources for FreeBSD 4.10, I have included an "src-all"
> line in the cvsup file, but when I visited
> freebsd.org, their handbook says:
>
> Welcome to FreeBSD! This handbook covers the
> installation and day to day use of FreeBSD
> 4.10-RELEASE and FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE.
>
> When I look into my handbook inside the
> /usr/share/doc/handbook.. it still says:
>
> Welcome to FreeBSD! This handbook covers the
> installation and day to day use of FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE
> and FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE.
>
> Questions:
>
> Does the make buildworld process also upgrades my
> Handbook? 'Coz it wasn't what i saw after doing such.

Hi Jay,

The "make buildworld" process only deals with the system
sources.

There are three separate trees (src, ports and docs) that most
users are concerned with.  Each one uses its own toolchains to
do the updating.

> If not, then how will I do that?..I mean, can I fetch
> its sources and run a "make"?

Its pretty easy actually.  The first thing that needs to be done
is to install the tools needed to build the documents from the
sources.  The textproc/docproj port is a meta-port which will
install all the necessary tools:

	# cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj/
	# make JADETEX=yes install clean

I show JADETEX=yes since you can only make HTML or ASCII text
output if you install the tools using JADETEX=no.  JADETEX is a
large port so if HTML/ASCII is sufficient for your needs then there's
no reasont to build with JADETEX.  You can always add it later if
you change your mind.  Doing the build will take a little while
since there are quite a few dependencies, so be patient.

After this, the steps involved in keeping your local documents
current is simple.  You need to cvsup document sources first.
Take the example doc-supfile:

	/usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile

and modify it by changing the line:

	*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org

to a cvsup server close to you as you did for your source supfile
and cvsup the sources.  Once you have the new doc sources, then you
can build them:

	# cd /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1
	# make install clean

This will build all the english "Books" and "Articles" and doesn't
take all that long.  The process is similar for other languages.
Building in the directory /usr/doc would build *all* languages
if that is what you wanted to do.  This would, of course, take a
bit longer.

That's the basic process involved.  If you're interested in more
detail of how all this magic works, take a look at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/index.html

> And that would be all..
>
> thanks!
> -jay

You're welcome... enjoy the new toys ;-)

Best regards,

Randy