Questions about Hauppauge WinTV 350

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 22 20:26:31 PDT 2004

A number of software products use the Hauppauge WinTV 350 "Personal
Video Recorder" (what a stupid name!).  I've been planning to get one
for some time, but here in Australia the prices are ridiculous (more
than double what they are nearly anywhere else).  So I've decided to
have one sent from overseas.

Question: are all WinTV 350s the same?  In Australia we have the same
standards as in most of Europe (PAL, not NTSC), and the tuner
frequencies are also the same as those in Europe.  If I buy a card in
the USA, will it work here, or are there two different kinds of card,
depending on where they're sold?

The web site is not of much help.  To help me decide, it would be nice
to hear from somebody with experience with the cards who can tell me a
definite answer to at least one of these questions:

* Are there separate versions for different countries?
* Does the device you have support both PAL and NTSC?
* Does the tuner on your device support both European and US
  frequencies?
* What kind of antenna connector does your card have?  US TVs tend to
  have a screw-on connector, while European one tend to have a push-on
  connector.

Other information, in particular where I can get them cheap, would
also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.