[OT] Re: What's the best possible email failover solution

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jun 22 07:08:47 PDT 2004

"David E. Meier" <dev at eth0.ch> wrote:
> > Like I said, we'll never know till someone tries it.  It looks like
> > Dovecot is going to try it eventually, but it seems like they have
> > other priorities at this time.
>
> "Someone" already stores mails in a database: Oracle (Email Server and
> Collaboration Suite). I set up the Oracle Email Server 5.2 for a company I
> worked for earlier. And to express it nicely: It was a nightmare! Mails
> got stuck and rejected because the system was not capable of writing them
> into the database. Besides, the support for that system was also =0. We
> were probably the only ones daring to run the system ;-) I am glad I am
> running cyrus now. Extremly stable and fast.
>
> That system was not well thought through at all. I don't know how much
> work needs to be done for a database email store, but Oracle wasn't
> (isn't) able to do so.

It's a shame it wasn't an OSS project, so we could determine if keeping
mail in a database is a bad idea, or if Oracle just did it poorly.

The other option is to take what appears to be the best IMAP server out
there (Cyrus) and figure out a way to do real-time mirroring of the
mailboxes.  I was wondering if it could be done with Coda, but I don't
know anything about Coda, and it doesn't look like I'll have time to
experiment in the near future.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies