Reinstalling And /usr

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Mon Jun 21 20:24:35 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Jun 21), Rishi Chopra said:
> What is the effect on the /usr partition when reinstalling over an
> installation?
>
> I suffered a kernel panic that wiped my MBR; I'd like to simply
> reinstall with the same partition/slice values - will my /usr
> partition and the data therein still be accessible after
> reinstallation?

Sure, except anything you may have changed in
/usr/{bin,sbin,share,lib,libexec} will get overwritten.  Make sure you
elect not to newfs any of your filesytems :)  In fact, if you know your
exact mbr info, you should be able to boot the install floppy, go to
the partition editor, set it up, write, reboot, and you're done.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com