Printing setup

Len Zettel zettel at acm.org
Mon Jun 21 19:08:48 PDT 2004

Warren Block wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Len Zettel wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, when I try
> > lptest 20 5 | lpr -PLaserjet
> >
> > I get the following message:
> > lpd[297]:Laserjet: cannot execv(/usr/local/libexec/if-simple):
> > no such file or directory
> >
> > /usr/local/libexec/if-simple is there:
> > Moving it to /usr/local (with corresponding modification of
> > /etc/printcap) doesn't seem to help.
>
> Try the simple things first:
>
> chmod +x /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
Did that earlier - didn't help.
HOWEVER:
I am set up with swappable hard drives (greatest thing since sliced
bread ;))
So I booted 5.1 with the 4.10 drive as slave, then copied the
5.1 files to the 4.10 drive.
Now (I wish I knew why) everything works!
I suspect either contamination by non-printing characters
or some subtlety involving space and tab characters.