Installing FreeBSD on Sparc Ultra II clone

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 12:23:54 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:22:15PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 5:02 PM +0100 6/21/04, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 10:41:26AM -0500, Hank Allen wrote:
> > > I would like to get some info on installing FreeBSD by booting
> > > with floppies and using ftp to download on a Tatung machine.
> > > I'm not sure where to get the disk images. Any help would be
> > > greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Either here:
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.2.1-RELEASE/floppies/
> >
> >or here:
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.10-RELEASE/floppies/
>
> It would be an interesting "Sparc Ultra II" clone which could
> boot up off of i386 floppies...
>
> I do not know of FreeBSD/SPARC64 would run on that clone.  You
> might want to check:
>
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/platforms/sparc.html
> or
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/5.2.1R/hardware-sparc64.html
> or
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/5.2.1R/installation-sparc64.html
>
> for more details.

Tatung's latest products include a range of AMD Opteron and Xeon based
rack mount and blade servers, plus their UK site lists some "Tablet
PCs" based on Intel CPUs.  I admit I had never heard of a sparc clone
made by them. Seeing as the sparc based models listed on the
www.tsti.com site look kind of old hat nowadays, I don't thing it's
safe to assume 'Tatung' means 'Sparc Clone' any more...

Still, I'm sure the OP will clarify exactly what sort of machine he
has if he needs any further information.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way