[FreeBSD] Silly Question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Jun 21 07:36:12 PDT 2004

> Ok gang don't be to rough.
> I am a long time windows user,
> and am used to running disk maintenance.
> Scandisk, defrag, etc
> Do I need to run something similar on FreeBSD?
> or not?

Not those, but you should set yourself up a nice backup script/routine
and dump(8) everything to something that can be removed and stored
elsewhere - if what you have on the machine is at all valuable to you.

Otherwise, FreeBSD doesn't need those other types of maintenance.

I suppose you could set up an automated upgrade that runs and
downloads the latest on everything and builds it.   Some people
even do that daily.   But, you don't really need to do it that much
unless you are doing development work.

You could also learn some about security and run various checks on
the system and the net in low use times.  But, that just tends to make
the person who does that more paranoid and obsessive.   So, to avoid
shrink expenses, probably you should go easy on that too.

So, I guess, just do backups and enjoy  your weekends.

////jerry