Partition sizes for small harddisk

eyesonly at xs4all.nl eyesonly at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 20 12:30:20 PDT 2004

Hi

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.10 on an older computer with a 852 MB hard disk.
According to the handbook, 250 MB should suffice for text mode only.
However, both the "User" and (retried) "Minimal" distributions left me with no space in /usr
I used the default partitioning (entire disk) and said "No" to the ports and linux compatibility prompts.

Assuming that the defaults are optimized for larger disks, how would I best divide the available space?

thanks
Mark