FreeBSD weakness.

arden arden at nildram.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 04:11:33 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 20:33, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 14:23, Lloyd Hayes wrote:
> > I finally decided that I needed to get more information on FreeBSD. I
> > got it up and running, then I did something else and I start getting
> > errors again....
> >
> > So I just ordered 3 books on FreeBSD from Amazon. In most of the reviews
> > posted there about the books, people were complaining about weak
> > documentation, too much information about things that they were not
> > interested in, and errors in the in the books which seems to be the most
> > common complaint. In my very short recent history with FreeBSD, I've
> > formed the opinion that documenting FreeBSD is it's greatest weakness.
> > FreeBSD needs someone who can actually type to write a good book for
> > beginners who have never seen UNIX code. A book is needed with examples
> > that actually WORK! Examples that are explained in plain English. There
> > seems to be very few books on FreeBSD around.
>
> Of the free OSs I think the different BSDs tend to be the better
> documented.  Along with the man pages (don't short them, some can be
> obtuse at times but overall they give me what I need most of the time),
> this has served as my primary source of documentation for FreeBSD:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html
>
> Book wise, there are more on Linux.  This is starting to change though
> which is great.  I think what you are looking for isn't necessarilly a
> FreeBSD specific book, though having at least one is great, but a
> general unix primer to help you get more familiar with unix concepts.  I
> remember when I started toying around with linux and stared at the
> command line not knowing what to do.  I had "Running Linux" back then
> which had a great intro to such things like file permissions,
> users/groups, and navigating around the system.
>
> Since I really can't from looking at my bookshelf, can anyone recommend
> a book with a few good chapters on general unix concepts to get a
> completely green user familiar and comfortable with "the way things are
> done"?  Comming from $OTHER_OS to unix can be daunting but once you get
> the basics down, you start to complain that $OTHER_OS is too hard to do
> what you want.  :)
>
> Tom
>
> > I have decided that it is a very good operating system which I need to
> > learn more about. And yes, I have all of the links that everyone sent
> > me. Thanks for all of the info.

> ive also just started down the bsd route started on linux 2/3 years
back then m$ was my desktop OS now thats been replaced by mandrake and
bsd is my "play" OS i have to say its done me no end of good at work now
been sent on aix courses in order to become a member of our risc team :)

on a side not ive still have a small windows partition for running
dvd2one dose any one know an equivalent in the *nix world

arden