Migrating my mailhub from 4.9 to 5.x

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sat Jun 19 23:22:16 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:43:43PM +0200, Frank BONNET wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am in the process to migrate my mailhub ( ~3000 mailboxes ) from 4.9
> to the next 5.x release to be able to use native nss_ldap and pam_ldap.
>
> I have tested the 5.2.1 version on another smallest machine and most
> of my needings are working.
>
> BUT
>
> I need also to change the webmail I use actually as it seems to be not
> supported anymore , this is IMHO working on the Roxen http server.
>
> I need a webmail that works with uw-imap ( mandatory ) and the maildox
> format as I have to keep a large amount of mailboxes and don't want
> want to use the maildir format for now.
>
> Any recommendations on the webmail I should use ?
> I have tested some on my spare machine but really don't know how they
> will work under a "production load"
>
> The machine is a HP/Compaq Proliant GL380 with 2 Gb RAM
> and a lot of disk space.

I'd highly recommend Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org). I use it
on a couple servers at work (a campus-wide server, and a server specific to
the CS department), and it works great. It's got a good plugin system, and
is reasonably fast (and with options to make it very fast).

Another one to look at is OpenWebmail (http://openwebmail.org). I haven't
used this in a production environment, so I don't have much practical
knowledge of it.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/