FreeBSD weakness.

peter lageotakes plageotakes at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 19 14:03:48 PDT 2004

--- Lloyd Hayes <wyoming_antelope at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I finally decided that I needed to get more
> information on FreeBSD. I
> got it up and running, then I did something else and
> I start getting
> errors again....
>
> So I just ordered 3 books on FreeBSD from Amazon. In
> most of the reviews
> posted there about the books, people were
> complaining about weak
> documentation, too much information about things
> that they were not
> interested in, and errors in the in the books which
> seems to be the most
> common complaint. In my very short recent history
> with FreeBSD, I've
> formed the opinion that documenting FreeBSD is it's
> greatest weakness.
> FreeBSD needs someone who can actually type to write
> a good book for
> beginners who have never seen UNIX code. A book is
> needed with examples
> that actually WORK! Examples that are explained in
> plain English. There
> seems to be very few books on FreeBSD around.
>
> I have decided that it is a very good operating
> system which I need to
> learn more about. And yes, I have all of the links
> that everyone sent
> me. Thanks for all of the info.
>
> --
>
> Lloyd Hayes
>
> Email: wyoming_antelope at yahoo.com
> E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590
> Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/

Hello Lloyd,
I must say that there may not be as much documentation
about FreeBSD as there is to other operating systems.
However the documentation that does exist is of high
quality.  If your looking for an intorductory book:
FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your

Personal Computer, Second Edition (with CD-ROM)
by Annelise Anderson
ISBN: 0971204519

Also the FreeBSD handbook is an excellent reference:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Additional articles published by O'Reilly / Onlamp
have a great beginners section (FreeBSD basics and Big
Scary Daemons):
www.onlamp.com/bsd

Another set of good articles:
http://www.daemonnews.org/new2bsd/