FreeBSD weakness.

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Sat Jun 19 11:47:44 PDT 2004

Lloyd Hayes wrote:

> I finally decided that I needed to get more information on FreeBSD. I
> got it up and running, then I did something else and I start getting
> errors again....
>
> So I just ordered 3 books on FreeBSD from Amazon. In most of the reviews
> posted there about the books, people were complaining about weak
> documentation, too much information about things that they were not
> interested in, and errors in the in the books which seems to be the most
> common complaint. In my very short recent history with FreeBSD, I've
> formed the opinion that documenting FreeBSD is it's greatest weakness.
> FreeBSD needs someone who can actually type to write a good book for
> beginners who have never seen UNIX code. A book is needed with examples
> that actually WORK! Examples that are explained in plain English. There
> seems to be very few books on FreeBSD around.
>
> I have decided that it is a very good operating system which I need to
> learn more about. And yes, I have all of the links that everyone sent
> me. Thanks for all of the info.

Hi Lloyd,

Welcome to the FreeBSD Questions Mailinglist!

We try to help persons who have issues with their installations, etc.
And you are one of those persons we want to try and help.

However, we can help you if you give more information, what errors do
you get? Do you perhaps know what you did which caused those errors?
 From what moment did those errors arise?

What links did you get? Did people refer to the handbook?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
or the faq?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html
or where?

And what books did you order? Perhaps they are outdated, or not very up
to date anymore.

What version are you running?

Oh, and you can contribute, read the handbook and faq, and create some
articles, which you think need to be linked with freebsd so that anyone
can use them.
You can find more information for that here:
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/index.html

I hope this helped a little,

Cheers

--