login troubles (password prompt is slow to appear)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Jun 19 07:56:42 PDT 2004

RF <bsdrockford at pastrytech.com> writes:

> installed... and the password prompt still takes forever to appear.
> Anyone know what's going on?  I heard something about FreeBSD doing a
> DNS on every connecting IP and that adding my IP (which is
> unfortunately not static) to  etc/hosts would bypass the lookup... but
> it still takes a long time.

I think you probably still aren't getting the name resolution on the
connecting machines (yes, sshd does do a reverse name lookup).  Try
adding debug flags to the sshd and see what it thinks the problems
are.  There is an "sshd_flags" variable in rc.conf that you can set to
do this automatically at boot time.