any use to build from source?

Renato Marques renato_fbsd at optrade.com.br
Fri Jun 18 15:48:36 PDT 2004

    Hi,
    When I was using 4.1 release, removing just the hardware that I was not
using and building the Kernel gave me mutch better performance.
    I Dont know about internals so, probabily, this is not true anymore.
    Anyway, I could mount a DNS Server on a Pentium 75 Mhz with 16MB,
because the GENERIC Kernel was using about 4MB and the compiled one 2,5MB.
Samba had a much better performance too...
    That's about the Kernel, when I install any serious application  I
always compile from source, so I get the last stable release and no one from
the Ports collection, beside the fact that normaly I have to turn on/off
some options.