more kdm questions

Ruben Bloemgarten ruben at bloemgarten.demon.nl
Fri Jun 18 11:17:07 PDT 2004

Forgot to cc the list
-----Original Message-----
From: Ruben Bloemgarten [mailto:ruben at bloemgarten.demon.nl]
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 8:13 PM
To: 'Brett Wiggins'
Subject: RE: more kdm questions

# vi /etc/rc.conf
Add hostname="yourhostname" to the file
Reboot will make the change permanent. For a temprary hostname :
#hostname yourhostname

To verify if the hostname was set :
#hostname

The hostname is not related to X nor xdm/gdm/kdm, but is a system parameter.
Many applications will not function properly or at all without the machine
knowing who it is. Xdm/kdm/gdm are amongst those appz that won't work
without the hostname.

Also, I always take the xinitrc template from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit, copy
it to my home directory and modify at will.

Good luck.