more kdm questions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jun 18 10:08:22 PDT 2004

Brett Wiggins <bawig1 at student.monash.edu> wrote:

> > Did you set the hostname ?
> >

> This is going to sound like a stupid question but how do I set the
> hostname? I searched the archive for 'kdm hostname' and found nothing.

Set the hostname for the machine.  For temporary (and testing) you can use
the "hostname" command from a shell prompt.  To get it set for good, add a
line like:
hostname="my.host.name"
in /etc/rc.conf

Make sure that the name you choose is either in DNS, or you enter a matching
record in /etc/hosts.  Otherwise, you'll have problems with applications running
slowly, or not starting at all because they try to verify the hostname.

> Thanks again
>
> Brett
>
> >> hello (again),
> >>              I am still having some problems with kdm, I have
> >> searched
> >> (again) the archives and the handbook. Below are the steps I took,
> >> files I edited during setup. After I installed the X window system
> >> and
> >> KDE I created the file ~/.xinitrc which contains;
> >>
> >>                       exec startkde

> >> I then setup KDM by editing the file
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession. I
> >> added the following to the file;
> >>
> >>                    case $# in
> >>                    1)
> >>                        case $1 in
> >>                         kde)
> >>                              exec /usr/local/bin/startkde
> >>                              ;;
> >>                        failsafe)
> >>                               exec xtem -geometry 80x24-0-0
> >>                               ;;
> >>                        esac
> >>                     esac
> >> Finally I added the following to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0;
> >>
> >>                  /usr/local/bin/kdmdesktop
> >>
> >> KDM loads but when I log in nothing happens, I just end up back at
> >> the
> >> login screen. This is all the info I can think of. If I missed any
> >> please let me know.
> >>
> >> Thanks again
> >>
> >> Brett

Bill Moran