[A bit OT]Re: New user questions :)

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Fri Jun 18 09:34:56 PDT 2004

Brian Astill wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:27 am, Jorn Argelo wrote:
>

>>>That advice may be OK for some things, but it doesn't make sense
>>>to make yourself compile such behemoths as Openoffice and etc
>>>unless you are in to pain and suffering for your entertainment.
>>>

>>Heh, that's true. Though let's be honest, you have to try everything
>>once, don't you think? I  got no problems compiling KDE, but I don't
>>really prefer using OOo. I'll use KOffice instead.
>>

>May you have much good fortune!  On my experience, you'll need it.
>It might depend on the system, but I have found that KWord crashes every
>time you use "Save As" and KSpread won't save AT ALL.

That's interesting. KOffice worked just fine here. I never had any
problems with it. The only minor thing that irritated me was the limited
choice of fonts, but that's it.

>Interestingly, Knoppix - which is a pretty comprehensive stand-alone
>Debian Linux system - ships with Open Office, but without KOffice, even
>though it uses KDE as its GUI.

The main reason is, I think, because OOo can save files into Bill's
extension, and KOffice can't. Perhaps the developers of Knoppix
encountered several problems using KOffice as well.

>OO just WORKS without any hassles I know of.

It's not a bad program, no. But the thing I really hate about it is that
you need a working java eviroment to let it work, even if you install it
without java support. I haven't really tried the package thing though,
I compiled it from source from the ports tree.

Cheers,

Jorn